Sustainable Development / International - Experience and Public Service
Robert Youngberg is President of Sustainable Development / International in Denver, Colorado consulting on national and international renewable energy and environmental development projects for a variety of clients.
Robert Youngberg has a lifetime of experience and expertise in supporting development efforts locally and internationally in the areas of Social, Energy and Environmental Sustainability.
The following is a summary of Robert's experience and activities in energy and environmental sustainable development.
Robert has extensive experience in professional consulting in the renewable energy, environmental and information technology industries serving national and international clients for over 30 years. Robert served as a consultant for the Libya National Department of Planning and Building Construction for Energy Conservation, Passive Solar and Renewable Energy Design Standards. This project resulted in a set of 3 large format illustrated design handbooks for sustainable residential and commercial buildings for Libya.
Robert founded and served for 8 years as Director of the Renewable Energy Research and Policy Office at the University of Nebraska.
Robert’s executive and management positions include HWS Environmental Engineering, Oracle Consulting, Sun Microsystems Professional Services, Cendant Corporation, and Information Handling Services (IHS) / Cambridge Energy Research Associates – (CERA).
Robert’s current activities include:
• International Steering Committee for the Alliance for Renewable Energy,
• Planning Committee for the Colorado Renewable Energy Society Annual Conference 2010,
• Program Committee for CORE - Connected Organizations for a Responsible Economy,
• Sustainability Chair for the 2009 Rocky Mountain CleanTech Open Competition,
• Judge for the 2009 Rocky Mountain CleanTech Open Competition,
• Judge for the Colorado Environmental Partnership 2010 Sustainability Champion Awards,
• Judge for the Aspen 2010 Rocky Mountain Green Award.
• President of the Board of Directors of the Trailblazer Foundation– Jackson, WY;
• Secretary of the Board of Trustees of Village Earth / International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) at Colorado State University.
• Steering Committee for the 2010 Rich Phillips Pancreatic Cancer Walk
Robert has also served in many other volunteer positions including Chair of the Lincoln, Nebraska City Energy Commission, Energy Advisor for the State of Nebraska Consulting Architect and Engineers Selection Board, served on the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Solar Water Heating Design and Installation Standards Committee, provided testimony to the United States Congress - Committee on Renewable Energy Policy and Tax incentives, Chair of the American Cancer Society Prostate Cancer Annual Fundraiser, and served on the State of Colorado Governor Bill Ritter's Business and Industry Sector of the Colorado Climate Action Committee.
Robert was born and raised in Nebraska, has an amazing son and daughter-in-law, and holds a Bachelor of Science in Architecture and graduate work in Architecture and Business Administration at the University of Nebraska. Robert served 28 years as a Cryptology Officer in the U.S. Naval Reserves, has been an avid snowboarder for over 20 years, lived in Spain for two years and is a world traveler. Adventure trips include climbing Mt Kilimanjaro with his son for the 2000 Millennium, a wooden dug-out canoe trip up the Orinoco River to Angel Falls in the Venezuelan rain forest, and Robert recently discovered an abandoned 800 year-old Khmer temple in the jungles of Cambodia. Robert still regrets turning down an offer to climb Krakatau Volcano and to winter over in Antarctica, but he's not done yet.